30.12.09

the devil doll (1936)

aka The Witch of Timbuctoo.
"Look at me and see what seventeen years in the grave has done to me. No, Radin, without my hatred I never could have lived to exhume myself. What swine you three are!"
Paul Lavond (Lionel Barrymore), escapes prison with a scientist. Once ensconced in their swamp hide-out the scientist unveils his research, a method of reducing living creatures in height, until they are but centremetres high. When the scientist dies, Lavond takes the methods to Paris, and soon wreaks vengeance on the three men that framed him. The men know he is coming for them, but they are on the look out for Paul Lavond, not Madame Mandelip, toy
manufacturer.
A wonderful and classic early horror, where Barrymore and Browning combine to make a thrilling horror. Maureen O'Sullivan adds fire and a sub-plot as Lavond's daughter, who blames her father for her reduced circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment